Broadhurst School was established in 1958 by Mrs Mary Berkery and it has remained in the family ever since.

Originally located in Broadhurst Gardens, it moved to the present site in 1964, at which time its maximum capacity was for 50 children. In 1973, two further floors were added and Mrs Berkery’s daughter, Miss Deirdre Berkery, joined the teaching staff. Five years later, Mrs Berkery’s son Mr Brian Berkery, the present proprietor, joined the school.

During these decades, Broadhurst became established as a school with a calm, structured and nurturing environment where children would develop a love for learning – and where every day would be fun. This ethos has been maintained throughout the school’s life, and continues today.

On Mrs Mary Berkery’s retirement in 1990, Miss Deirdre Berkery became Headmistress, holding that role until 2011, when she became Principal and was succeeded by Mrs Alison Fisher. Competition for places at high quality independent schools increased significantly, with preparatory schools introducing individual entry assessments. Broadhurst responded by dedicating more time to one-to-one child care so that its pupils were well prepared for this important stepping stone.

Broadhurst was one of the first nursery and pre-prep schools to have its own website and introduced computers into the classrooms in 2005. Interactive white boards appeared in 2007, followed in 2013 by Clevertouch screens, which engage and excite children, connecting technology with learning.

Outings outside the school started in the nineties, and have been expanded over the years.